Why Volunteer?What You Can Gain from Volunteering:
● Skill acquisition - job skills, communication skills, etc
● Personal & professional development and training
● Experience - especially to be able to add to your resume
● A written/verbal reference
● Have some fun, while making a contribution
● Meet new people who are like minded, have similar interests
● Experience in meeting new challenges
● Satisfaction from doing something to make a difference, from 'giving a little'
● The ability to explore different sorts of career or job opportunities in a voluntary capacity.
Some benefits of volunteering include:
● It connects YOU to your community.
● You can make new friends.
● You can receive recognition for your efforts and contributions.
● You can explore career options and learn job related skills.
● You can discover your strengths, talents and interests in a practical environment.
● You can help to create safer and healthier schools and communities.
● You gain personal satisfaction by helping others.
● You can build confidence and self-esteem.
● You can build communication and social skills.
● You can learn and develop your leadership skills.
● You can discover and apply your civic responsibility.
● You can better understand the role you play in strengthening your community.
● You can get on track with your future education and career goals, such as scholarships.
● You can find your voice and share your thoughts, your ideas and what is important to you.
● You can find a way to explore what you might like to do in the next stage of your life, whether you are a student, a young person, a parent, a soon to be retired person, a senior
We now know that volunteering keeps you healthy (Volunteer Canada, 2011), increases your lifespan (Harvard School of Public Health, 2004), and just plain 'feels good'! Through volunteering in your community you can stay connected, and keep learning.
For those of you who want to make a difference in your community, contribute your talents to make Dufferin an even better place to live, work and play!